Friday, December 26, 2008

2009
"Well! THAT happened!"
- phillip seymour hoffman, in State Street, 2005







2008



Hey, little dude, where did the year go?

Yeah, I have no idea either.

But in the next few days, we'll all be collaborating on our year-end wrap-up of news, photos and funny stories, for all of you who we don't see in person. Or text. Or whatever.

Some highlights, off the top of my head: Ian turned 3 last week. We celebrated with the traditional Baskin-Robbins cake.

Eric turned 47, back in April. I do believe he had a gig on his birthday.

2008 was Eric's second year as a full-time entertainer and educator, and my 8th as a religious professional. (SO PLEASE SEND MONEY.)

Oh, I'm kidding. We don't want you to send us money.

Bank wires are much faster.

But we know, judging from the news these days, none of you has any either. The house needs work, the car needs new tires.(I just typed "The cat needs new tires", which I want to sit down and sketch right now! Can't you just see her up on the lift? Fabulous.)

And of course, people keep dying, dammit. My best friend from childhood, David, died a few weeks ago. I had the unbelievable honor of helping with his funeral.

So obviously it's a hard time to be hopeful, for me as much as anyone, but, just as obviously, hope and even a certain amount of thankfulness persist. "Spring eternal," even.

Every day, my child drives me around the bend, over the edge a little crazy. But every day, we also laugh our heads off, sing together, pray at bedtime and hug and hold hands. He knows all the words to "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch" and both parts to "Baby, It's Cold Outside." That's pretty good, for barely 3.

I love my job more than I ever have. I love my husband more than I ever have, though I've loved him for an awfully long time, so it's hard to quantify that confidently. I am trying to take better care of myself (in part because 'people keep dying', see above.) I'm at a kind of a weird place with God (ibid.) but God has never ditched me yet, and I'm counting on that relationship surviving as well.

I knit my sis-in-law a really cute sweater for Christmas.

I made some pretty good vegetable soup tonight.

Betsy

No comments: